Sabrina Karels has practiced civil trial law for over 20 years. Her practice includes healthcare law, commercial litigation, and personal injury litigation. She has extensive experience providing rapid crisis management and response.
Ms. Karels advises public and private health care facilities and companies on compliance issues, operational issues, peer review proceedings, and employment matters. She also has represented individual health care providers before state regulatory boards. She has a multi-jurisdictional practice with state and federal court licenses in two states, and litigation experience in five other states.
She regularly prepares articles and serves as a speaker on various litigation, law enforcement, and firearms law topics.
Ms. Karels has a passion and enthusiasm in firearms law and regulations. She also drafts firearms law trusts and provides representation and consulting for law enforcement departments and firearms businesses.
Ms. Karels is a native Texan and grew up in a small town in Central Texas. After practicing law for over 18 years in big cities, she now calls Amarillo home. She is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, life member of the NRA, and enjoys shooting sports, baking, running and water sports.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical negligence case against hospital and radiology technician.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical case against hospital in wrongful death matter.
- Obtained multiple dismissals in medical negligence actions asserted against nursing homes.
- Obtained summary judgment for hospital involving alleged negligence in off-label use of medical device.
- Obtained summary judgment for hospital in wrongful death case.
- Successfully represented physicians in peer review proceedings.
- Successfully represented nurses before Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Represented global company in multi-million dollar food product dispute involving European food laws and regulations.
Affiliations & Honors
- Member, USCCA Legal Advisory Board
- Amarillo Area Bar Association
- Panhandle Cancer Cure Foundation, Secretary of the Board
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of California
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Endowment Life Member, National Rifle Association
- Second Amendment Foundation
- Member, Texas State Rifle Association
- Member, Texas Concealed Handgun Association
- Member, Texas Exes
Speeches & Publications
Legal Considerations for Tactical Medical Officers©
"Coverage for a Self-Defense Shooting"
"Defending Against a Life Care Plan"
“Defending the Catastrophic Damages Case: Attacking Life Care Plans in Discovery and at Trial”
“Using and Attacking Life Care Planners and Economists in the Economic Loss Case”
“Attacking Economic Damages Claims in Catastrophic Health Care Liability Cases”
“Stowers Demands and Article 21.21”
“Resolution of Common Liens in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Litigation: Not My Problem?”
“The Personnel File: Privacy, Ethical Considerations and Discovery”
“Emerging Health Care Liability Trends in the U.S.”
“The Road Map to Attacks on Statutory Reforms — The California Experience”