Sabrina R. Karels is a trial attorney with over 20 years of litigation experience. She enjoys being in the courtroom and zealously advocating for her clients. She practices in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation, Firearms Law, Commercial Litigation, Law Enforcement, Premises Liability, and Products Liability.
Sabrina has substantial civil litigation trial experience representing individuals, companies, and organizations. She is licensed to practice law in Texas and California and has litigation experience in five other states. Sabrina has represented individuals before state regulatory boards and advised facilities and companies on operational and compliance issues, policies and procedures, and risk avoidance. She also has experience advising companies and facilities regarding response to regulatory inspections, claims, and demands, including crisis counseling and responses requiring immediate attention. Sabrina is a frequent speaker on litigation and firearms topics, including presentations to lawyers, business owners, and individuals.
Ms. Karels is a native Texan and grew up in a small town in Central Texas. After practicing law for over 18 years in big cities, she now calls Amarillo, Texas home. She is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, and with family members in the firearms industry, law enforcement, and former military, she maintains an ardent support for these industries. She serves on the Advisory Board for the United States Concealed Carry Association and is a certified firearms instructor and chief range safety officer. Ms. Karels is also a First Lieutenant, Judge Advocate in the Texas State Guard.
In her free time, she enjoys the shooting sports, baking, hiking, and all water sports.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical negligence case against hospital and radiology technician.
- Obtained defense verdict in medical case against hospital in wrongful death matter.
- Obtained multiple dismissals in medical negligence actions asserted against nursing homes.
- Obtained summary judgment for hospital involving alleged negligence in off-label use of medical device.
- Obtained summary judgment for hospital in wrongful death case.
- Successfully represented physicians in peer review proceedings.
- Successfully represented nurses before Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Represented global company in multi-million dollar food product dispute involving European food laws and regulations.
Affiliations & Honors
- 1LT, Judge Advocate, Texas State Guard
- USCCA Advisory Board
- Amarillo Area Bar Association
- Board Member, Panhandle Cancer Cure Foundation
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of California
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Endowment Life Member, National Rifle Association
- Second Amendment Foundation
- Member, Texas State Rifle Association
- Member, Texas Concealed Handgun Association
- Member, Texas Exes
- Certified Firearms Instructor and Chief Range Safety Officer
Speeches & Publications
Legal Considerations for Tactical Medical Officers©
"Firearms Liability, Immunity and Insurance Issues for Property Owners"
"Coverage for a Self-Defense Shooting"
"Defending Against a Life Care Plan"
“Defending the Catastrophic Damages Case: Attacking Life Care Plans in Discovery and at Trial”
“Using and Attacking Life Care Planners and Economists in the Economic Loss Case”
“Attacking Economic Damages Claims in Catastrophic Health Care Liability Cases”
“Stowers Demands and Article 21.21”
“Resolution of Common Liens in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Litigation: Not My Problem?”
“The Personnel File: Privacy, Ethical Considerations and Discovery”
“Emerging Health Care Liability Trends in the U.S.”
“The Road Map to Attacks on Statutory Reforms — The California Experience”
Texas Gun Laws
Understanding the Second Amendment
Walkthrough and Outcome of Self-Defense Case
“The Wild Wild West: How the New Texas Gun Laws Affect Your Practice and Your Clients”
Guest Appearances on Cold Dead Hands Saloon Radio Program