Mr. Riney has practiced civil trial law in Amarillo for over 40 years. He is board certified in Civil Trial Law (Texas Board of Legal Specialization) and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. His practice includes general civil litigation, commercial litigation, professional liability, products liability, healthcare related litigation and arbitration.
Tom was named as one of the "Top 100 Lawyers" in Texas for the ninth time in 2017 by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) and has been selected for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America” (Woodward White, Inc.). He was also named “Outstanding Defense Bar Leader in the Country” by Defense Research Institute.
A profile by the Texas Lawyer (American Lawyer Media) on the practice of law in Amarillo reported its survey of lawyers in Amarillo indicated Tom was “the defense lawyer to call for a bet the company case,” and is considered “very tough, thorough and always well prepared”.
A frequent author and lecturer, Tom has given nearly 100 presentations to lawyers on civil trial matters in continuing legal education seminars.
Tom has been married to his wife Sandy for 45 years. They have two sons and six grandchildren.
Tom has been active in the Amarillo community having served as President of the Amarillo area council of the Boy Scouts of America, President of the Downtown Kiwanis Club, President of the Coffee Memorial Blood Center, Chair of the Board of Governors of Northwest Texas Healthcare System, and has served on the Board of Directors of Catholic Family Service.
Obtained summary judgment for a church-owned financial services organization that manages retirement funds for missionaries and pastors in a multi-million-dollar case involving tortious interference with contract, fraud, conspiracy and lender liability claims arising out of a failed sale of working interests in oil and gas leases located in the Permian Basin.
Obtained a summary judgment for a winery in a $4 million breach of contract and fraud case arising out of an auction of a winery.
Co-counsel for an international corporation in a $90 million fraud case arising from the construction of an ethanol plant that resulted in a favorable settlement.
Negotiated $10,000,000 settlement with retention of mineral ownership for mineral owners sued for partition.
Represented major energy companies in multiple litigation matters including lease disputes, environmental contamination, and personal injury and death claims arising from oil field accidents, exposure to hydrocarbons and other causes.
Obtained a take-nothing jury verdict for an agricultural commodities company in a $5 million fraud/deceptive trade practices case.
Successfully defended a claim in arbitration for breach of fiduciary against the managers of a cattle feedlot.
Successfully represented numerous lawyers and law firms on claims of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and in fee disputes.
Obtained defense verdicts for automobile manufacturers in catastrophic injury cases as lead counsel and as co-counsel.
Represented major midstream energy company in catastrophic pipeline strike.
Represented hospitals and medical executive committees in medical staff hearings and litigation related to revocation of medical staff privileges.
Represented oil and gas operators and royalty owners in disputes over overriding royalty interests.
Successfully tried numerous cases to verdict for hospitals and physicians on claims of wrongful death and serious injuries.
Represented major pharmaceutical company in mass tort claims.
Obtained summary judgment for the guarantors of a $1 million promissory note against the holder of the note.
Affiliations & Honors
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law (Texas Board of Legal Specialization)
- Texas Bar Foundation Board of Trustees (3 year term)
- Amarillo Area Bar Association (President, 2005–2006)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (President, 1997–1998)
- Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee (2006–)
- State Bar of Texas (Director, 2012–2015)
- Chairman, Committee of the Administration of the Rules of Evidence (1991–1993)
- Member, Pattern Jury Charge Oversight Committee (2006–2012)
- Defense Research Institute
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates (Advocate, President, West Texas Chapter 1991-1992)
- Sustaining Life Fellow: Texas Bar Foundation
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Course Director, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course (2009)
- Member, Court Administration Task Force (2008)
- President, Serra Club of Amarillo (2009–2010)
- Named as one of the “Top 100 Lawyers” in Texas for 2017 by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters). This is the ninth year he has been named to the Top 100 list.
Speeches & Publications
“Picking the Deep Pocket – Participatory and Vicarious Liability”
“Participatory and Vicarious Liability in Personal Injury”
“Participatory and Vicarious Liability in Business Litigation”
“Expert Witnesses — Back to the Basics”
“Use of Experts in Business Tort Litigation”
“Limitations, Venue and Other Procedural Issues”
“Venue, Jurisdiction and Other Procedural Issues”
“Professionalism After Twenty Years of the Texas Lawyer’s Creed”
“Limitations, Jurisdiction & Miscellaneous Procedural Issues”
“Continuing Developments in the Law of Voir Dire”